Friday, January 11, 2008

Thing #14

As I reflect on what Library 2.0 means to me, I get excited to know that I am beginning my librarian career at a point of change. I feel like I am getting to come in at a great time when many of us are still learning these new and exciting things. Had I not become a librarian for a few more year, I may have missed out and would feel behind. I would not have been the best librarian I could be.

Library 2.0 means to me that we are aware of the needs of our patrons. We need to be on the lookout to meet their needs in anyway possible. Whether that is by the internet, new books, or new technologies. It seems that we need to be super flexible and willing to change our ways in order to ensure that our library can serve students/patrons the best. Today that may mean getting out the laptops and researching the current event. Tomorrow it may mean searching books for needed information. Than again it may involve learning by creating blogs, wikkis, myspaces. It will be everchanging.

In the future, I think libraries will need to be filled with not only great books, but the best technologies they can find. I don't think the web2.0 will be disappearing anytime soon. Then when we feel we have a hold on that web3.0 will be around the corner. I fear for myself that after I complete these tasks, I will become complacent and not search for new things. I will again need the 23 things!

No comments: